Dals or lentils are eaten everyday in North India as they are rich in protein and dietry fibre. I remember my mother used to cook every dal ie Arhar, moong, masar and chana, but Dal Makhni was made on special occasions. It takes longer to cook, the Whole Urad dal and rajmah are soaked overnight and boiled next morning with whole spices and later on given 'Tadka' in butter with tomatoes, ginger garlic paste and cream to give it that soft smooth buttery texture. This softness also comes from slow fire cooking. The longer it is cooked on slow fir, the better it tastes.
Dal Makhni is a main course dish served with Lachha Parantha, Nan, tandoori roti and missi roti. My family enjoys dal makhani with Lachha parantha and onion rings dipped in lemon water and dusted with black salt. So let us get started.
We Need :
I cup Whole Urad (Black gram)
1/4 cup Rajmah. (Kidney Beans)
3 medium sized Tomatoes.
2 Tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
2 Green Chillies
1 Tbsp Kashmiri Mirch Powder
1 Tsp Salt Or to taste
1 Tsp Red chilli powder
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Cream
2 Tbsp Ghee
1 Black Cardamon
1" Piece of Dalchini
1 Tbsp Kasoori Methi ( Dry fenugreek Leaves)
6 Garlic cloves chopped finely.
Let us Start :
1. Wash Whole Urad and Rajmah beans. Soak them together overnight in 3 cups of water .
2. Rub the lentils with your hands in the morning and drain the water.
3. Add both the lentils with Cardamom and Cinnamon in a pressure cooker with 5 cups of water. Pressure Cook On high flame upto eight or ten whistles.
4. When both the daals are cooked and softened, remove the lid and let them cook on a slow fire. Remove the whole spices. Add more water if required.
5. Meanwhile take 1Tbsp oil and 2 tbsp of butter in a pan. Add ginger garlic paste. Saute for 2 min. Add a little water if masala sticks to the pan.
6. When the ginger garlic paste leaves oil, Add Tomato puree and Kasmiri chilli powder.
7. Saute till oil separate.
8. Pour Dal in the tadka and mix everything properly. Let it simmer on slow fire for about 10 min. Meanwhile keep on stirring .Mash it also with the back of ladle. As the dal thickens add water till dal is of creamy and vicious consistency. I slow cooked it for about 25 min during the process. The more you slow cook the more the taste improves. Do keep on stirring at intervals otherwise it will stick to bottom of the pan.
9.When Dal attains a thick and Creamy consistency, Add cream. Check salt. Add if required.
10. When the cream dissolve completely , crush Kasoori Methi in between your palms and Add to the dal. Stir well and switch off the flame.
11. Heat 1 Tbsp of ghee in a pan . When heated add finely chopped garlic to it.
12. When it turns golden, pour it over the dal and immediately cover the pan so that the aroma stays inside the pan.
Dal Makhani is ready to serve. Enjoy it with Rotis, Paranthas, Naan or any other type of bread.
Slow cook this dal. The more you slow cook, the more it tastes better.
Keep on stirring the Dal, otherwise it will stick to the pan and spoils the taste.
Post a Comment