Palak paneer is the most sought after recipe in North India. Be it any festivity this dish is a popular choice. Soft cottage cheese in spinach sauce with mild flavours is favourite with everyone. It specially comes handy to sneak in greens in children's diet . When my daughter was a kid the only way to feed spinach to her was Palak paneer. Cottage cheese with spinach gravy is packed with nutrients.
The gravy is made richer with cream or cashew. This dish is made with many variations. Some people saute spinach with oil and some blanch it . I prefer to blanch it and then purée it for a smooth gravy.
We need :
400 gm Spinach
150 gm Cottage Cheese ( paneer)cut in cubes.
50 gm Cream
2 medium sized onions finely chopped.
3 fresh tomatoes pureed
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
2 tsp butter
2 tsp oii
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 Green cardamoms.
2 Green chillies
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chillie powder
Salt to taste.
Here we go:
1. Wash Spinach thoroughly in running water to remove dust. Use only spinach leaves as hard stems are bitter in taste.
2. Boil 3 cups of water. Switch of the flame. Add Spinach leaves and let them sit for 1 min in hot water . Remove the leaves and immediately immerse them in cold water. This helps to retain the green colour of Spinach.
3. Puree the boiled Spinach with green chillies . No need to add water in the process.
4. In a pan heat butter and oil . Add cumin seeds. When they start spluttering add chopped onions .
5. When onions turn brown add ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 min.
6. Add tomato puree , Turmeric , chilli powder , fenugreek leaves and salt.
7. Add Spinach puree and cheese cubes 6. Add half cup of water and cover the pan.
7. Let it simmer on low flame for 5 min or till oil separates.
8. Add cream and let it simmer for 2 min.
Your Palak paneer is ready. You can have it with Naan, tandoori roti, tawa chappati or parantha. It makes a very good combination with zeera rice too. So what are you waiting for. Enjoy this mouth watering delicacy with any combination of your choice.
Tips to remember
Spinach should not be over cooked otherwise it will loose colour and will taste bitter.
Cream is added to reduce the bitterness of Spinach.
Uncooked cheese taste better as it is soft and moist.